Wednesday 18 September 2013

And so it wasn't to be...

Going into the Ras na m'Ban this year I had high hopes of picking up the county jersey or at least aiming for it. Being unsure of how my team could support me and the addition of a team time trial meant I was likely to rule out the top GC spots. However I knew the form I was in, using training and racing markers in the weeks previous to remove any doubt of achieving top fives and tens throughout the week. Unfortunately neither were to be and again on Irish soil my perseverance was tested through a crash on stage one and illness on stage two. Both situations eventually left me to make a sensible decision to DNF from the race so not to risk my own safety and that of others. No bones were broken and the root of my fainting episodes has since been easily sussed so its now time to move on and take the positives from the first stage. Fighting my lonesome way back to the main bunch after a heavy fall and bike change took some going into a headwind with a broken cleat at this point meaning I was unable to move out of the saddle, riding in fear of causing more damage if I took such action. An inefficient seated sprint at the end of the stage led to a pretty pleasing 24th spot from a group of nearly 70 and a further 30 plus starters.

Anyway like I said, moving on :) ... a time where I will be looking to use my sprint is this weekend in the Womens Westminster Grand Prix. Running off the back of  the Tour of Britain organisers, the race will start at 10.30am on Sunday morning, lasting for 60 minutes around an impressive sightseeing circuit ;) . As I did at the Prudential RideLondon Grand Prix, plenty of the capital's sights will be passed, taking in the London Eye, Big Ben and Parliament Square this time around!  Being a race I look forward to for numerous reasons, I will certainly keep the blog updated and be right back next week with how it all went. Excitingggg!!!

Toodle Pip.

No comments:

Post a Comment